Tuesday, January 14, 2014

DIY Woodworkers Workbench

 UPDATE!! UPDATE!! YAY! 
Yes I am still alive and finally back in the workshop! Its been a while since I have done anything noteworthy in the shop. I have finally decided to build myself a proper workbench as I've been using a 6' plastic fold-up banquet table from Lowes. Lets just say its not the sturdiest / flattest thing in the world but it served its purpose for the time being.

Basically it was something to throw all my junk onto!

Moving along..... I have been ( still am ) going to school to get my Associate Degree in computer aided drafting doing so has given me practice time with Adobe Autocad, Inventor, Revit and 3Ds Max, all that cool 3D software I have always wanted to learn how to use! Up until now I have been using  Google ( formerly Google ) Sketchup to design all of my projects, I have since switched over to Autocad and Inventor. Its not that I don't like Sketchup I just need the practice with Autocad and hey why use a Mazda when you have a Ferarri in the garage? I already had quite a few design plans  for workbenches but none of them fit my budget or time-frame so  I used these designs as a starting point to create my own workbench based on my budget and needs. Here is the 3D design I came up with.

Here is the finished version:


Well I say its finished but more like Mostly finished. I still have to add the oak faceplate and I am also waiting for the woodworking vice I ordered from Amazon. Sadly it wont arrive before I start the next semester at school so it may take me a while to be able to install it.
That's it for now, I have some step by step photos I will post those if I have time. Next project is to build a simple 2x4 frame-base for my router table top. I bought it at Rocklers in Houston 2 years ago and its still sitting in a box. I need that to finish the face plate of this workbench then I can finally use my router lifter that I bought 5 years ago! YAY! Until then let the sawdust fly!

No comments:

Post a Comment